How to get a holiday rental license in Mallorca

What do you need for a Mallorca holiday rental license?


How to get a holiday rental licence in Mallorca

Villa Cati - Inca 


The law on rental licences in Mallorca has swayed and changed a few times now since it first came out, and it has left many of us confused as to what is needed and how to get one. 


On 30th of July 2018, the Tourist Board in Mallorca began offering “plazas turísticas” for sale to legalise holiday rentals on the island. A plaza turistica can be understood as “tourist occupancy”, ie: the number of guests a property can legally accommodate.


How to apply for the tourist occupancy “plazas” in Mallorca


To apply for the purchase of these tourist occupancy licences, you have to head to the Consorcio de Mallorca, which is located in the Ministry of Tourism (Conselleria de Turismo).

Once the purchase of the “plazas” has been authorised and the first payment (in the stage payment plan) has been made, all the documentation required to obtain the necessary licence for holiday rental activity can be presented.


How to Buy a Plaza Turistica - A tourist Occupancy Space


In order to purchase tourist occupancy licences for a holiday rental property, the property owner must present a statement of responsibility to initiative holiday rental activity - Declaración Responsable de Inicio de Actividad Turística (DRIAT) as well has have a certificate from the town hall that certifies that the property is located in a zone that permits holiday rental activity.

NOTE: These restrictions only apply to NEW LICENSES and and do not affect holiday homes that have already obtained their licence prior to the approval of the tourist zones.


Administrative Fees


The administrative fees to apply for licences varies according to the municipality.  For example, in Sóller, it costs €50 to submit the application, whereas in Alcudia the rate is €70 and in Santa Margalida this increases to €100 per application.


In order to apply for a holiday rental licence, your home will have to meet the following minimum requirements: -


  • Have a current certificate of occupancy (cedula de habitabilidad) or similar occupancy certificate issued for this purpose by the competent insular Administration.


  • The maximum number of plazas that can be sold are those allowed by the certificate of occupancy


  • These homes cannot have extra beds


  • Be located in one of the areas declared and provisionally delimited as suitable for holiday rental activity. That is, when there are available tourist plazas from the “Stock Exchange (Bolsa) of Holiday Rental Plazas, and when the property is located in a tourist zone declared suitable for tourist marketing.


  • Be at least 5 years old.  During this period the use of the home must have been private residential.


  • Be free from sanctions. A home cannot be rented as a holiday let if a sanction has been imposed for “serious” or “very serious” infringement of the holiday rental licencing laws until such time that the sanction has been fulfilled and the legality of the property is restored.


  • Have the corresponding relevant energy certificate for the property.

As a general rule, they must meet certain energy efficiency requirements, which have to be developed by regulation.


In the absence of a regulation, the minimum qualifications will be the following:


  1. Rating F, for buildings constructed prior to 12/31/2007.
  2. Rating D, for buildings constructed after 01/01/2008


  • Have water consumption control systems (meters or individual meters).


  • Have individual counters for other supplies such as electricity or gas


  • Comply with applicable sustainability and accessibility regulations.


  • Not be or have been, residential housing, subject to the regime of official protection or assessed price (precio tasado).


  • Have minimum equipment of 1 bathroom for every 4 plazas (occupancy rate).


Other requirements established in Annex 6 of Decree 20/2015.


  • Quality plans approved by regulation. 


  • The houses are obliged to display, in a prominent and visible place, a plaque identifying the property as a holiday rental with the corresponding holiday rental licence number. In accordance with the specifications outlined in Annex 1 of the Decree 20/2015.


  • Civil liability insurance that covers corporal and material damages suffered by the guests during their stay and also by the community of owners. For a minimum amount of 300,000 euros.


  • 24-hour contact telephone number, available to the guests and also the community of owners.


  • Comply with the obligations imposed in the Tourism Law of the Balearic Islands, established for all tourism companies.


  • Comply with all regulations that may be applicable, including tax, and the regulatory requirements for the exercise of the activity (business, labour if you hire personnel, and tax).


  • Display the holiday rental licence number in all marketing material for the property, including online marketing. The guest must also be notified of the registration number at the beginning of their stay.


  • Registration of tourists with the Police in accordance with the citizen security regulations.


  • Comply with the information, prices, advertising and reservations regime that regulate art. 86 and 87 of Decree 20/2015.


Here is a list of the documents that must be presented to obtain the licence:


  1. Identity documents i.e. NIE, DNI

  2. Certificate from the municipality showing that the property is located in an area where holiday rental activity is permitted in accordance with the tourist zoning.

  3. Certificate accrediting the acquisition of tourist occupancy “plazas”, obtained from the Consortium of the Ministry of Tourism (El Consorcio del Conselleria de Turismo).

  4. For multi-family properties, such as apartments within an apartment block or community of owners, or properties subject to horizontal ownership (ETVPL), documentation proving that the community of owners allows holiday rentals.

  5. For the rental of a main residence for a maximum of 60 days per year (ETV/60) current certificate of “empadronamiento” indicating the owner of the property as the resident of the property.

  6. Modernisation Plan (Annex 6 of Decree 20/2015) – self assessment document available to download on the Dirección General de Turismo website).

  7. Proof of payment of the corresponding administrative charge using the form Model 046 from the Agencia Tributaria website.